Zapier Recipe: Find and update a client in vcita from a Jotform submission
This recipe will show you how to create a new client through a Zapier connection. We will use Jotform as an example, but the process is similar for other zaps that involve updating a client. Jotform is a form-building solution that allows you to create and send forms, and embed custom forms on your website. By connecting with Zapier, you can ensure that every time a submission is made to your jotform, a client will be updated in vcita.
- Make sure you are connected to Zapier.
- Create a new zap in Zapier.
- Connect Jotform to vcita
- Choose New submission as the trigger type and Find client as the action as shown below
- Click Try it
- In the Connect Jotform step, authorize Zapier to connect to Jotform, then select the form you want to connect.
- Connect vcita in the next step and authorize Zapier to connect to your vcita account.
- Setup action: Choose the search term you want to use to search vcita for a client. This should be the email field collected from your jotform as shown below:
- Test your action and make sure it is successful before continuing.
Now we will add an update client step to our workflow.
- Click the + button after the find client step.
- Select vcita again and choose the update client action. Click Continue.
- Choose the same vcita account to use as before.
- Set up Action:
- The first step is the most important. In the Client ID field, select the ID string that we found in the Find Client step.
- Continue to map the fields that you want to update:
- This is where you match the fields collected in Jotform to the fields in vcita where you want the information to appear. Only map the fields you want to update. In the following example, we are choosing to update the address and phone fields based on new information received.
- Continue to test your action. If the test is successful, you will then be able to turn your zap on. From now on, every time a new submission is made to your form - and it matches an existing client in vcita - the client will be updated in vcita.
- The finished zap should look like this:
A smarter client creation
Now that you know how to find and update clients, you're ready to create a smarter client creation experience from Jotform (or other similar platforms).
We can check whether a client already exists in your vcita account:
- If the client does exist in vcita, update the client with new info
- If the client does not exist in vcita, create a new client
This is helpful if your clients submit the same form multiple times to update their info. You can do this by adding a path to your multi-level Zap.
- Make sure you have already set up the Find Client action in Zapier as shown above. Find Client step (but before you have added an Udate Client step), click the + button to add a path. The path works like a fork in the road, depending on the result of the Find Client step.
- We are setting up one branch in the path for existing clients and one branch for new clients.
- Edit the first branch. Name it Existing. Add the rule: Zap search was found... > (Boolean) is true. Essentially this means that we found a client in vcita on the previous Find Client step.
- Continue and test your step. Then add an update client action as described previously. This branch ensures that if the client was found in vcita, it will be updated with new information.
- Edit the second branch. Name it New. Add the rule: Zap search was found... > (Boolean) is false. Essentially this means that we did not find a client in vcita on the previous Find Client step, so we need to add a new client.
- Continue and test your step. Then add a create client action. This branch ensures that if the client was not found in vcita, a new client will be created.
- Test and activate your zap! Now your zap can handle new and returning clients who submit a form.