Merge Duplicate Clients
You may find yourself with duplicate clients, either because of an erroneous import, client creation, or simply because one of your clients used a different email address. When that happens, you can use the merge function to merge those clients into a single client while retaining their information.
In this article, Primary will refer to the client that all others will be merged into, while Duplicate will refer to the client(s) that will be merged into the primary.
Note: For stability purposes, you won't be able to merge clients if two or more of the selected clients meet any of the following criteria:
- Is linked to your Square, Quickbooks, Google Reserve, Stripe, inTandem Payments, CSV/XLS/XLSX import, or other app import.
- The client has more than 1000 messages.
- More than 10 clients are selected for merging.
- The client's first name contains a link.
How to merge clients
To merge clients:
1. In your vcita dashboard, navigate to Clients.
2. Select the clients (up to 10!) you would like to merge by using the checkboxes. The Merge button will appear near the top right of the screen.
3. Click Merge.
4. Select the primary client all the other clients should be merged with. Essentially, this is the client card you will 'keep', while all other duplicate information will be added to it, so try to pick the one which has the client's preferred email address, or the most past interactions with your business.
5. Click Merge to continue.
6. Agree to the terms and click Merge one more time.
7. The clients will be merged and an internal note will be added to the primary containing the details of the merge.
For specifics on how the client data is merged and limitations, check out the sections below.
What gets merged
|All conversations are merged into the primary
|Custom Client Fields
|Only empty fields are copied from the duplicate
|Duplicate phone numbers are added as additional fields. If the phone number currently being used for SMS notifications is invalid, a valid duplicate's phone number will be used for SMS notifications instead
|The merged client will be assigned to the staff member who had the most recent interaction with the client
|All tags are merged
|All internal client notes are merged