Accepting Online Payments
In this article you’ll learn how to accept payments online to enjoy a faster, smoother payment experience for both you and your clients.
You’ll learn about your different processor options, as well as your clients’ payment options.
Overview of online payments
Once you enable and set up online payments, you can accept online payments in a variety of ways:
- Get paid online directly upon booking
- Get paid online using electronic invoices
- Get paid online directly from your client portal and/or website
You can receive payments:
- Directly to your bank account using Payments by vcita, Stripe or Square
- Directly to your PayPal account
Clients can pay you:
- Using a credit card if you connect to Payments by vcita, Stripe or Square
- Using their PayPal account
Overview of payment processors
You can connect your account to several popular online payment processors and/or gateways. Select the one that best meets your business needs, preferences, and business location.
You have two main types of payment processing options:
- Receive payments directly to your bank account with Payments by vcita, Stripe or Square
- Payments by vcita, Square and Stripe provide you with direct deposits into your bank account.
- With Payments by vcita, Stripe or Square as your payment processor, you can also accept and charge credit cards.
- Receive payments to your PayPal account
- If you choose PayPal as your payment processor, funds will be deposited into your PayPal account.
Processing fees and times
1. Processing fees:
Your account will not be charged with any additional transaction fees besides the fees determined by your payment processor and/or gateway. See below:
Get all the information you need regarding the different processing fees directly from your select providers’ website: Payments by vcita processing fees, Square processing fees, Stripe processing fees, PayPal processing fees.
2. Processing times:
Payments by vcita: Your first Payments by vcita transaction will typically take around 5-7 days to show up in your bank account. After the first payment is deposited in your account, you can expect payments to process as follows:
- Transactions finalized before 9 pm EST will be added to your bank account on the morning of the 2nd business day.
- Transactions processed after 9 pm EST will be added to your account on the 3rd business day.
PayPal: Payments are normally transferred to your PayPal account immediately. To transfer funds to your bank account, you will need to initiate a transfer from your PayPal account.
Square/Stripe: On newly created Square and Stripe accounts, payments normally take 5 - 7 business days to deposit directly into your bank account. This duration will likely shorten as your account becomes more established.
Currency for online payments
If you haven’t done so yet, make sure your currency is set up right for your payment and business location needs. To learn more about currency, go to the Setting Up Payments article.
Connecting your payment processor
Once you’ve decided on the payment processing options right for you, here’s how you connect your account to one or several processors:
Here visit the following articles for information on how to set up your payment gateway:
- How to connect to Payments by vcita
- Connect your Stripe Account to vcita
- Connect Your Square Account to vcita
- Connect your PayPal account to vcita
Note: For information on how your currency affects online payments, go to the Currency for online payments section above.
Enable online payments
Once you are connected to the payment processors that are right for you, follow these steps to enable online payments:
Step 1: Go to Settings > Payments.
Step 2: Go to the Payment Processing tab, and make sure your Currency options are set right for you.
Step 3: Choose from the following online payment activities:
- Clients can pay you online
- Clients can access their payment activity online
- Allow both options for a complete online payment experience, as displayed here:
Important: Both options are checked by default. The second checkbox must remain checked for online payments to be turned on.
Step 4: Click Save to save your changes.
If you would like to enable partial payments for invoices:
Step 1: Go to Settings > Payments.
Step 2: Switch to the Invoices & Estimates tab. Under the Partial Payments sections, check the Enable partial payments for invoices checkbox.
Step 3: If needed, you can even specify a minimum partial payment percentage. Clients will need to pay at least 25% of the invoice total each time in the example below:
Learn more: To learn all about the online payment experience from both the business and client-side, go to the Getting Paid Online article.