A client intake form contains information that clients or leads submit to your business when they schedule, pay, share contact details or send you a message online. Every intake form has a section for contact information, where clients provide their personal details. Email and first name are required fields, and last name / phone are usually requested as well (see the example below). In addition to these basic details, you can include any other client field in your intake forms, so you can collect any information that you need.
This article explains everything you need to know about customizing intake forms for your business:
- Understanding the Intake Forms Tab
- Intake Forms: Adding and Removing Fields
- Adding Business Policies and Terms to Intake Forms
Understanding the Intake Forms Tab
What clients see in intake forms is determined by the settings in the Intake Forms tab of your Client Card Settings page. To access this tab, open the Settings menu and select Client Card & Forms. Then, on the page that opens, click Intake Forms.
The Intake Forms tab is divided into three frames, allowing you to easily and accurately design settings for each of the intake forms. Clicking , or simply clicking the row, displays the settings for the selected form. To prevent errors, you can view settings for only one form at a time. Clicking Preview lets you view the form as your clients will see it. The Preview link remains available when the frame is expanded, so you can see the results of your changes as you update settings for the form.
Intake Forms: Adding and Removing Fields
The following sections describe how to customize intake forms by adding fields that are helpful to you and removing fields that aren't relevant to your business or services.
Adding Fields to Intake Forms
Any field listed in the Client Fields tab can be added to an intake form. If you find you are missing a necessary field while working on your intake form settings, the Create new client field quick link lets you add a new field on-the-fly.
To add a field to an intake form:
- Open the settings for the relevant form. At the bottom of the Client info details section, click Add client field.
The Add client field dialog opens.
- Click the Field name line to open a list of all client fields not currently on the intake form.
If the field you want to add is on the list, click to select it. Then, go to Step 3.
If the field you need is not on the list, click Create new client field. For more information about how to add a new field, click here.
- After selecting the field, click Add.
The Add client field dialog closes, and the selected field is added to the list of Client info details.
Note: The fields on intake forms are displayed in the order in which they are listed in the Client Fields tab. For details about re-ordering the fields, refer to Viewing and Organizing Client Fields.
Removing Fields from Intake Forms
The following procedure explains how to delete unnecessary fields from intake forms.
Important: The Email and First Name fields are required, and cannot be removed.
To remove a field from an intake form:
- Open the settings for the relevant form. In the Client info details section, hover over the field you want to remove. Click and then select Remove.
A confirmation popup opens.
- To remove the field, click OK.
The popup closes, and the field no longer appears on the form.
Adding Business Policies and Terms to Intake Forms
If you want, you can add an appropriate policy to the settings of each intake form:
- Leave Details form: Business policy
- Scheduling form: Booking policy
- Payment form: Payment policy
Policies you add will be displayed to clients immediately before they submit the form.
To add (or update) a business policy:
- Open the settings for the relevant form and scroll to the Business policy section. In the row of the policy, click and then select Edit. Alternatively, you may simply click the row.
The Edit policy dialog opens.
- Click on the line and paste the text of your policy (or update the existing text as required).
- Click Save.
The dialog closes, and policy settings are saved. To view the text of your policy, repeat Step 1.
Adding Terms of Service
Business policy settings for the Scheduling form enable you to add terms of service to the form, in addition to the booking policy.
When you use the Terms of Service feature, clients will be requested to accept the terms of service before they submit the form, and they will be able to click a link to view your terms on the web. We recommend using this feature if you have posted official terms of service on an external webpage, such as your business website.
To add terms of service to your scheduling form:
- Open the Scheduling form settings and click the Terms of service row.
The Edit terms of service dialog opens.
- Select the checkbox. Then, paste your terms of service URL on the line below.
- Click Save.
The dialog closes, and your settings are saved.