The Payment Settings page is where you select the parameters that determine how your payments are handled. Some options you can specify are:
- Default payment currency (and support of other currencies)
- Payment gateways (Stripe / Square / Paypal)
- Reminder messages for late payments and expiring estimates
- Display of your billing address and business terms on invoices and estimates
These topics explain how to work with your payment settings:
- Opening the Payment Settings Page
- Setting Default Currency
- Setting Up Payment Gateways
- Adding Terms and Conditions to Your Estimates and Invoices
- Selecting Automatic Reminder Settings
- Payment Settings Page Overview
Opening the Payment Settings Page
You can open the Payment Settings page in either of the following ways:
- From the Settings menu, click Payments.
- At the upper right corner of any main page of the Payments menu (Estimates, Invoices & Bookings or Payments Received), click Settings.
The sections below explain the settings in the Payment Processing tab. For information about the other buttons and quick links on the page, refer to Payment Settings Page Overview.
Setting the Default Currency
The Select your currency section lets you manage currency settings for accepting payments.
To select currency settings:
- From the Default currency list, select the currency you usually work with.
- If you accept additional currencies, make sure the checkbox is selected.
IMPORTANT: If you plan to use Square as a payment gateway, do NOT check the checkbox.
- At the top of the page, click Save.
Setting Up Payment Gateways
vCita supports integration with the following online payment processors:
- Stripe and Square: These platforms allow you to accept and charge credit cards. The payments are deposited directly into your bank account.
- PayPal: Payments are deposited directly into your PayPal account. To transfer funds to your bank account, you need to initiate a transfer from your PayPal account.
You can connect your vCita account to one or more of these payment processor options. We recommend connecting to both a credit card processor and PayPal, to allow your clients a variety of payment options. (If PayPal is your only payment processor, you will not be able to accept and charge credit cards.)
vCita charges no commission or fees on payments you receive from your clients. However, the payment gateways you connect to normally do charge service fees, which can vary depending on your industry and location. For more information, check these websites:
vCita will never keep your clients' credit card information. In addition, vCita never has access to any funds collected on your behalf. Read more in our Terms of Service.
To set up payment gateways:
- Scroll to the Choose your preferred payment methods section of the Payment Settings page. In the frame of the relevant payment processor, click Connect.
- Complete the connection process for the payment processor you selected:
* The credit card processors require you to log into your Square or Stripe account to connect it with vCita. If you don't have an existing account, click Sign Up to create one.
* If you selected Square, the following window will open, prompting you to allow information from your Square account to be brought into your vCita account. To begin syncing, click Let's Go.
Note: If you click No, Thanks, Square will still be enabled as a payment gateway.
* To connect with PayPal, enter an email address and then click Done. If you already have a PayPal account for your business, make sure you enter the email associated with that account. If you don't have a PayPal account, enter your email and you will receive further sign-up instructions after receiving a payment.
- Repeat Steps 1-2 to connect with additional payment processors.
- If you connected to both credit card processors, choose the active one by selecting the appropriate radio button. In the following example, all three payment processors are connected, but since Stripe is the active credit card processor, clients will be able to pay through Stripe or PayPal only.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Payment Settings page, and make sure that the second checkbox (Allow clients to pay online....) is checked. We also recommend keeping the first checkbox checked, to enable clients to view their personal payment history when logged into the client portal.
- At the top of the Payment Settings page, click Save.
Selecting Automatic Reminder Settings
vCita offers the option to send automatic reminder messages to follow up on overdue invoices and estimates whose expiration dates are approaching. These automatic messages can save you time, prevent missed business opportunities and help you avoid potentially unpleasant exchanges with clients.
When selecting reminder settings, you can choose ONE of the following reminder types:
- No reminder
- Automatically remind me: The system will send a reminder email to you (or the staff member who issued the estimate/invoice). Choose this option if you prefer to follow up with the client personally.
- Automatically remind client: The system will send a reminder email or SMS directly to your client.
When you choose to send reminder messages, you can also specify when the message will be sent. A large number of options are offered to accommodate businesses of every type.
- Overdue invoice reminders: Options range from 1 hour to 6 months after the invoice is due.
- Expiring estimate reminders: Options range from 1 day to 1 week before the estimate expires.
To select automatic reminder settings:
- At the right side of the Payment Settings page, click the Late payment reminder link.
The Auto Client Messages page opens, with the Payments tab displayed.
- Under Reminders for overdue invoices, select the reminder type from the Type list.
- If you set reminders to be sent, select a timeframe from the Schedule for list.
- If you selected Automatically remind client, you can write a customized message to be sent with the email. If you want to send reminders via both email and SMS, select the Send via text message as well checkbox.
- Under Reminders before estimate expires, repeat the processes described in Steps 2-4.
- At the top of the page, click Save.
Payment Settings Page Overview
The buttons at the top of the Payment Settings page let you save changes you've made on the page and then open your client portal to see how the settings will appear to clients.
The links on the right side of the page provide quick access to other pages and features related to invoicing and payments:
- Payment Form: Opens the Client Card Settings page.
- Add a logo to your invoice: Opens the Business Info Settings page, where you can upload a profile picture/logo and update other account settings.
- Late payment reminder: Opens the Auto Client Messages page, where you can choose settings related to automatic reminder messages.
- New payment notification: Opens the Inbox & Leads Settings page, where you can customize text of the automatic messages sent to you when a client pays.
- Policies: Opens the Advanced Settings page, where you can compose messages that are automatically displayed before a client submits a booking or payment.
- Coupons: Opens the Coupon Settings page.