You can import your Google contacts or any other contact list you have in a CSV format into vCita.
- Go to the Clients page
- Click on Import / Export
- Click on Import
- Choose from where to import: Google Contacts or CSV / EXCEL file.
- A list of all your contacts will be presented - you can choose to import all, or choose explicitly which contacts to import.
- By default, vCita will only import "new" contacts and will not override an existing vCita client. If you wish to overwrite your vCita client details, you can select to Override Existing before clicking on upload.
Please note that clients are identified according to their email address and not by name.
Importing your contacts from Google is very straight forward:
- On the Import page, click on the Google Contacts button
- Choose your Google Account
- Accept access to contacts
- All your contacts will now be shown, and you can select which ones to import
- vCita will import the following Google Contacts fields:
First Name, Last Name, Email, Address, Phone Number
Importing from a CSV file or EXCEL file
- First you will have to prepare a EXCEL or CSV (Comma Separated Values) format file. Your file should be formatted as a table and must include a header, or first line, that defines the fields in your table.
- If your CSV file contains special characters (or non ASCII characters) it must be saved in UTF-8 encoding, otherwise, while attempting to upload the file, you will see an error message indicating a bad format. To convert the file to the correct encoding, you can:
- Open the CSV file by using Notepad or other simple text editor.
- Click the File menu, and then click Save As.
- In the Encoding list, select UTF-8, and then click Save.
- Then go back to vCita and upload the file.
- For client email address, the email column should be titled with either 'e-mail address', 'email', 'email address' or 'e mail'.
- The file must include 'first name' and 'last name' columns titled accordingly.
- A column titled 'phone' will auto-populate the client phone number.
- A column titled 'address' will auto-populate the client address.
- If you wish to import client groups or tags, you can use a column titled 'Tags'. Tags should have a | separator, e.g. tag1|tag2|tag3
- If your client list is in non-english languages, or if you use special characters in your list, use EXCEL file to upload the contact list
Custom client fields
Any contact information that you upload will be shown on the client card page according to the order in the CSV file. However, vCita allows you to correlate between custom client card fields you already manage inside vCita and imported contact fields.
- Go the the Client Card Settings.
- Define the fields you wish to have for each client card.
- Match the titles you have on the CSV file to the 'labels' of the fields, then import. For example, if you have defined a field called 'Color' on the client card settings, and then added a column in your CSV file which is titled 'Color' - Then vCita will know to match between the two.
Here is an example of a CSV file. You can also download the example file attached.
|First Name||Last Name||E-mail Address||Phone||Favorite Color|
Also note that you may create custom fields in the card by adding a column in the import file, which will populate into the system after the upload.
You can add your clients to your marketing campaigns using the import tool.
The process is a simple one - simply add a column titled "opt in"/"Opt in"/"Opt In". Under this column insert 1/true/True/TRUE as a value.
*Please note: Import contacts is not supported for IE 9 and older IE versions