Export your client list from common Tax platforms
This article includes instructions on exporting your client list from various common Tax platforms.
When exporting, it's important to include fields such as First Name, Last Name, Mobile Phone, Email, Birthday, and any other information you want on your platform.
To export your client list from Canopy to a CSV file, navigate to Contacts, click the three-dots icon on the top right, then select Export Active Contacts from the drop-down menu.
Your contacts will be downloaded to a CSV file named CanopyContactsExport.csv.
- From the Report manager, create a custom report that includes all the client data you want to export.
- View the custom report, then export it to a CSV file.
For more detailed instructions, go to DrakeSoftware Knowledge base.
1. Open Dashboard, click Applications on the navigation panel, and then click Create client list for Portal under Utilities. Note: You must have Edit Firm Setup permissions to select this option.
2. Select the Quick Search criteria, and then click Go to select which clients to export.
3. Click Export, select the CSV format for the file, then indicate where to save the export file. The default location is c:\users\<user name>\Downloads, where c:\ is your local drive and <user name> is the name of the user logged in to the machine. The default file name is PortalSaaSClient_<system date>_<system time>.
4. Click Save. Your contacts will then be downloaded to a CSV file.
- From the working progress summary, select Utility, then Export Records.
- Select the type of data you want to export - Client Contacts (w/Valid Emails)
Click the three-dots button next to the Output Filename, enter a name for the file, browse to the desired export location for the file, then click Save.
- Click the Export button. Your client data will be saved as CSV file.
- Go to Gmail, click on the Google apps icon in the upper right-hand corner, then click Contacts.
- In Google Contacts, click Export in the left sidebar (the main menu), select Google CSV in the pop-up, then click Export.
- Enter a name for the file, browse to the desired export location, then click Save. The contacts are then exported as a CSV file onto your desktop.
Outlook (Desktop or Office 365)
- Go to File, select Open & Export, then Import/Export.
- Choose Export to a file, select Comma Separated Values, then in the Select folder to export from box, scroll to the top if needed and select the Contacts folder that's under your account.
- Choose Browse, name your file, and choose OK.
To export your client data from Outlook 365 to a CSV file:
- Open Outlook 365, click the Applications icon at the top left, then select People.
- Select the Export contacts option from the Manage dropdown.
- Decide which contacts you want to export by selecting a specific folder or All contacts option, then click Export.
- Select Reports from the main menu, go to Marketing and then select Client Listing Report.
- Select the data you want to export: First, select the clients, then select the Show Detailed Report radio button to include their email addresses.
- Select Do you want to export? checkbox at the bottom of the screen, then click Export.
- Check the Export type: Select CSV. Choose the folder where you want the file to go, then click Save.
Make sure you have ProSeries 2015 or higher.
Click HomeBase at the top of the program window, click Export Contacts, then click OK.
You will get the CSV file, which will include the contact information for all the clients that are included in the HomeBase view. The CSV file will not include any tax return data.
To export your client list from QuickBooks Desktop to Excel:
- Press CTRL+J to open the Customer Center.
- Expand the Excel dropdown, then select Export Customer List
In the export window, select Create New Worksheet, then click Export. QuickBooks will open Excel with your customer data in a new workbook.
There are two ways to export your client data from QuickBooks Online. One is from the Customers page and the other from the Reports page. Each gives you a different result and will affect the information you export to Excel. The data exported from QuickBooks will be available as an Excel file in the location you save it.
Export customer data from the Customers page
If you export from the Customer page, you’ll be able to export data from the Name, Company, Address, Phone Number, Email Address, Customer Type, Attachment, Currency, Balance, and Notes columns.
- From the left menu, select Sales, then Customers.
- Click the Export to Excel button at the top right, then save your file.
Export customer data from the Reports page
If you export from the Reports page, you can customize the client data you want to export to Excel, so it is a more precise and detailed approach.
- From the left menu, select Reports, go to Sales, then the Customers section.
- Click on Customer Contact List. If you want to make changes to the default report, click the three-dots icon, then Customize. In the Rows/Columns drop-down, select Change columns, add your desired columns, then select Run report.
- Select the Export icon above right of the CUSTOMER CONTACT LIST, then choose Export to Excel.
Sage One (Now SBCA)
To export client data from Sage One to a CSV file:
- Go to Company, then select Export Data.
- In the Export Type field select Customers, then in the Date Format field, choose how you want dates to be displayed in the exported file.
- Click on the Export Data button.
To export client data from Senta to a CSV file:
- Open the Client List, order or filter it if necessary to display the clients, then select the ones you want to be exported.
- Go to Actions, then select Export. You’ll be presented with the option to export the visible columns or all of the data available for the clients.
A CSV file will then be saved to your default download location.
To export your client data from TaxAct to a CSV file:
- Go to Client Manager, select the Export Client(s) from the File menu, then select TaxDome Export.
You will also have the ability to select individual clients you would like to export or click on the Select All button to export them all. After selecting the clients, you would like to export, click OK
Save your CSV file.
To export client data from TaxCalc to a CSV file:
- Go to the Report manager, click New Report, then enter a name for it.
- Choose the columns by selecting each one from the Columns Available section and clicking Add.
- Once you have created a report, you’ll be prompted to run it. Click Yes.
- Click Export Report and choose to save the report as a CSV file. Then choose a location to save it to.
To export client data from TaxSlayer Pro to a CSV file:
- Select Reports, click Client Reports, then select the filter you would like to use to generate the report.
- Select the Export to Microsoft Excel File option from the Generate Report Type drop-down menu.
Click the View button. The total number of clients found using the selected filter will be displayed on the screen. Select Yes to continue.
Select the fields you want to print on the report (first name, last name, SSN, etc.) and select Ok. Then choose a location to save it to.
To export your client data from UltraTax CS:
- Go to Utilities, then to Client Listing Reports, select the report you want to export, e.g., General Client Information, Client Contact, Client Family, etc., then click Continue.
- In the Select Clients for Report dialog box, use the fields in the Focus group box to include or exclude clients from the list of available clients.
In the Clients available to print pane on the left, highlight the clients you want to include in the report, and then click the Select button. The clients you have chosen will be moved to the Clients to print pane on the right.
Click the Export button, specify the file name, XLS file type, and location for the exported version of the selected report.
Select the Include column headings checkbox if you want column headings in your report, then click Save.
To export your client data from Xero to a CSV file:
- In the Contacts menu, select the group of contacts you want to export. For example, to export contacts you’ve created sales invoices and sales credit notes for, click Customers.
- Click Export. Your contacts will then download as a CSV file on your computer.