A group event is a service that caters to several clients at the same time. Classes, seminars and workshops are examples of group events.
The general workflow for adding and handling a group event is as follows:
- Create the event: This is usually done by adding a new group event to your Services menu. When you create the event type, you specify the location, price, maximum number of registrants and other basic details.
- Schedule the event: From your vCita Calendar, set aside times for the event. You can define the event as a single instance or as a repeating one. Once an event is scheduled, clients will be able to register for it online.
- Promote the event: You can register clients manually, send clients registration invitations, and/or create an Announcement to advertise the event.
This article provides all the details you need to know to manage group events:
- Adding Group Events to Your Services Menu
- Scheduling a Group Event
- Promoting Your Events
- Managing Events
- Related Articles
Follow the procedure below to add a new type of group event to your list of services.
To add a new group event service:
- Open the Settings menu and click My Services.
- In the upper left corner of the page, open the New service list and select Group event.
The New service - Group event dialog opens.
- On the Service name line, type a descriptive name for your event (up to 250 characters). Then, under Max attendees, specify the maximum number of people who will be able to register for the event online. (You can always modify this number later on, when you schedule or update the event.)
- Under Choose location, select one of the options, and then provide the additional requested information (address / phone number / Skype name or URL).
- Under Duration, specify the length of the event.
- Under Price, specify whether the event involves payment by selecting With Fee or No Fee. If you select With Fee, enter the price and choose a currency (if you work with multiple currencies). If you support online payment and you want clients to prepay, check Require to pay online during booking.
- To create the event and define additional advanced settings for the event, click Advanced.
To create the event and return to your Services list, click Create.
Note: You can view and update the advanced settings at any time. For more information, refer to Working with Advanced Settings for Services.
Once you have created a group event service, the next step is to set the days and times at which you will offer the event. Group event scheduling is done from your vCita Calendar.
If you have just added the service or are viewing its settings, you can use the following quick links to open your Calendar:
- From your Services list, in the row of the event you created, click No future events:
- From the Settings page for the event, scroll to the Duration section and click your Calendar:
To schedule a group event:
- From your vCita calendar, click Schedule New and select Group event.
Alternatively, select the time on the Calendar during which you want to schedule the event, and then click Group event.
The New Event dialog opens.
- At the top of the dialog, open the Services list and select the relevant event. Verify that the start and end days/times displayed are correct. If they are not, update them using the date and time pickers.
Once you select an event, the event's settings are displayed in the dialog.
- If you want to offer the event on a regular basis (weekly, monthly, etc.), select the Repeats checkbox. Then, specify the frequency of the repetitions and the total number of events that you will offer.
- If you want to offer the event to specific clients, select the Invitation only event checkbox. When this box is checked, the event will not appear on your Services list and only clients with a unique registration link that you provide will be able to register.
- The rest of the settings in the New Event dialog are taken from the event's settings on the Services menu. If you want to update them, click the Edit link. For more information about these settings, refer to Working with Advanced Settings for Services.
- Click Create.
The event is scheduled on your Calendar and you will receive a confirmation email. For example:
Clicking Register Clients lets you select clients and manually register them for the event. Clicking View Event opens the event's Details page, from where you can promote and manage the event.
The event Details page, which opens when you click the event on your Calendar, provides several methods of promoting your event.
- Promote this event: Enables you to create an Announcement from which clients can register for the event. If your event is part of a series, you will be prompted to choose whether the Announcement will be specific to this occurrence, or whether clients will be able to choose any meeting in the series.
- Register Clients: Allows you to manually register clients for the events. For details, refer to Registering Clients Manually.
- Invite clients to register using the Invitation link or other methods. For details, refer to Inviting Clients to Register.
Important notes about registration for repeating events:
- When clients initiate the booking request to a repeating event, they need to register for each occurrence separately. They will not automatically be added to the entire series, even if you have checked the Repeat box.
- When you initiate the booking by sending clients an invite to a repeating event, they will be added automatically to each session of the series.
Once clients are registered, you will see their names in the Attendees list. You can manage attendees directly from this list (e.g., check their payment status, cancel their registration, etc.).
To register clients for an event:
- From the event's Details page, click Register Clients.
If the event is part of a series, you'll be prompted to choose if you'd like to invite the client(s) to one specific occurrence, or to all the sessions in the event series:
- Select clients from the Register Clients dialog. When you finish selecting clients, click Continue.
- We recommend typing a note to clients on the Add Notes line, explaining the event and its purpose.
- Click Send.
The selected clients are automatically registered and will receive a notification email.
vCita provides several options for inviting clients to register for an event (aside from displaying the option on your : Your Unique Invitation Link and the Event Action Link.
- Display the event on your Client Portal Service Menu
- Distribute the event's Unique Invitation Link in your website, emails, social media and son on. Copy the link from the event's Details page. This link allows clients to register for that specific occurrence.
- Distribute an Event Action Link by email/SMS: Open the Online Presence menu and click Client Portal. At the bottom of the page that opens, click Direct Links.
In the Create a Link dialog, click Schedule > Select upcoming event. You can then choose from any occurrence of any event that you have scheduled.
Click here to learn more about creating direct links.
Once you have scheduled an event, you can edit and manage each specific occurrence from the event Details page, which opens when you click the event on your Calendar.
Clicking Edit lets you update various event details, such as day/time, place, maximum number of attendees, price and more. If the event is part of a series, you will be prompted to choose whether changes affect only this occurrence or all occurrences.
After you make changes, an email notification with the new details is sent to clients who have registered.
Clicking Duplicate copies the event, so you can create a new event based on the settings of an existing event.
Canceling an event removes it from your Calendar.
To cancel an event:
- From the event Details page, click Cancel Event.
If the event is part of a series, you will be prompted to choose whether the cancellation will affect only this occurrence or the entire series.
- When you cancel an event, an automatic cancellation email is sent to registered clients. To write your own customized message for this email, type the text on the Cancellation message line.
- Click Submit.
The event is removed from your vCita Calendar.
- Configuring Your Services Menu
- Working with Advanced Settings for Services
- Editing Announcement Settings
Still have questions? Contact us.